Green Chile Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cup peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 8 Hatch Chiles, roasted and skinned
- 1 fresh jalapeno chopped *optional* for more heat!!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Red Chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
Adapted from newmexicanconnection.com
Heat olive oil in 4-quart Dutch oven with cover. Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Add onion and garlic and stir with meat. Add flour and stir 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, green chiles, jalapeno (if using), salt, red chile powder and sugar. Mix to incorporate. Add broth. Lower heat. Cover pot and simmer for 1- 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
Serve with flour tortillas.