Sweet Pepper Jelly
This recipe makes a fiery golden, translucent jelly with colourful suspended fruit and vegetables. Serve it with cheese or melt it onto grilled or sautéed dishes to add sparkling flavour highlights
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) finely sliced dried apricots
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) white or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) finely diced seeded sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) finely diced green chili peppers, including seeds (hot or sweet)
- 3 cups (750 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 pouch (85 ml) BERNARDIN® Liquid Pectin
• Place 6 clean 125 ml or 3 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• With scissors or knife, cut apricots into 1/8 inch (0.3 cm) slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Add diced red peppers, red onion and green peppers to apricots. Stir in sugar.
Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add liquid pectin squeezing entire contents from pouch. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam, if necessary.
• Quickly pour jelly into a hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jelly.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.