Cheesy Cottage Pie
Topped with cheesy mashed potatoes, this cottage pie is a perfect for a cold winter night supper, enjoy!
- POTATO CHEESE TOPPING:
- 4 1/2 (800g) minced beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup of frozen peas (optional)
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 6 large potatoes, boiled and mashed with a little milk and butter
- 1 handful mature Cheddar cheese, grated (or mature Gouda)
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
Adapted from jamieoliver.com
Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the minced meat till browned.
Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and fry till lightly browned.
Add the tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the beef, carrots, peas and herbs.
Add the beef stock and season with salt and pepper.
Cook over a low heat for about 20mins, adding a bit more stock if it seems too dry (see note)
Transfer the meat into a large baking dish or ovenproof casserole.
Top with the mashed potatoes (which has been mixed with the cheeses and nutmeg) and score the top with a fork. You can either dot a little butter over the potatoes or spray a little olive oil over the top as I did.
Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit (190C) for approximately 30 minutes, untill golden.