Darrin's Beef Stew
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps halved
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley (see editor's note)
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, toss together steak, mushrooms, shallots, olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until beef and mushrooms are browned, about 30 minutes.
2. Transfer beef mixture to a medium pot and add 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water and 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until barley is soft, about 12 minutes.
3. To serve, season with salt and pepper and top with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.