Sage, Sausage, Apple Stuffing
- 16 oz. bag stuffing cubes
- 6 T unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan and topping
- 1 lb. fresh sage sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and cored and chopped
- 2 celery ribs w/leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 beaten eggs
Put the cubes in large bowl and set aside. Butter 3 qrt. casserole dish.
Melt 2 T butter in skillet and add sausage and cook breaking up with wooden spoon for 5 mins, just till it looses its pink. Add sausage and drippings to cubes. Melt remaining butter and saute onion, apples, celery, salt for 5 mins. Add broth and parsley, bring to boil. Pour over cubes and toss to moisten. Mix in eggs.
Loosely pack the dressing and bake 40 mins uncovered. Drizzle turkey pan drippings or melted butter on top and bake 20 mins more. Serve immediately