I didn't make the crust, I only made the insides. Delicious!! Put cinnamon on top for more flavor. Also, make sure the dough is folded well or else the brown sugar will melt and ooze all over. Yummy!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2-3 very ripe bananas (or, ideally, plantains)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 jar/can jackfruit (optional but highly recommended)
- To Seal and Brush
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons milk
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from kitchenconfidante.com
Place flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse till incorporated. Add the butter and pulse for about 10 seconds, until the mixture looks like crumbs. Add the egg yolk and pulse. With the food processor running, add the water in a slow drizzle until it comes together in a ball. Take care not to get the dough too wet. Place the ball of dough on plastic wrap and flatten into a disk. Wrap the dough tightly and store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before using, or overnight until ready to use. The dough can also be frozen.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Roll out the dough and use a 4 inch cutter, you should have about 1 dozen disks. Place on parchment paper or silicone baking mat to ready for filling.
Cut bananas into 1/2 inch pieces and toss in brown sugar in a bowl. Place a heaping tablespoon in the center of each disk. If you are using jackfruit, place a small amount in the center as well. Brush the edges with egg white and fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges shut. Crimp with a fork to seal. Return to refrigerator for several minutes if the dough has softened considerably.
Whisk together the egg yolk and milk and lightly brush the empanadas just before baking. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the dough is a golden brown. Best served immediately, when piping hot.
You'll also love
- Joe's Stone Crab Mustard Sauce 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Scallp Piccata on Angel Hair Pasta 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Potato and Corn Chowder 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Rosemary-Olive Oil Potato Chips 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Applesauce-Raisin Cookies 4/5 (16 Votes)
- ~Easy As Coconut Pie~ 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Banana Bread Waffles 4.4/5 (11 Votes)