Sherried Wild Rice Soup
- 1/4 lb bacon diced
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 lbs)
- 1 C wild rice
- 1 C diced onion
- 6 C chicken broth
- 1 t fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- 1 C dry sherry
- 1 C whipping cream
- salt and pepper
1. In a 4-5 qt pan over high heat, stir bacon frequently until crish, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, tranfer bacon to paper towles to drain. Discard drippings from pan.
2. Meanwhile, scrub and peel the potates. Cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
3. In same pan, combine potatoes, rice, oion, 4 C broth and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Add remaining 2 cups broth, sherry and whipping cream. Bring to a boil over high heat, mashing any potato chunks against the side of the pan with a spoon. Reduce heat and simmer to blend flavors, about 10 minutes.
5. Ladle soup into bowls, top with bacon.