Zucchini Stuffed with Parsnip Puree
- 4 - 6 medium sized zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 lb (450 g) parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch (3 cm) pieces
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) butter (optional)
- A grating of fresh nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds, making "boats" out of the zucchini halves. Steam for 5 minutes, or blanche in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes and drain thoroughly. Steam the parsnips until tender, about 10 minutes. (Note: parsnips have a tendency to become watery when boiled. If you decide to boil instead of steam them, make sure they are well drained and dried.) Mash the parsnips, or pass through a food mill, adding the optional butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Spoon the parsnip puree (or pipe using a piping bag) into the zucchini boats, mounding it on top. Warm in a moderate oven (350F, 180C) for 5 to 10 minutes, or simply heat in a microwave. Serves 4 to 6.