Lemon Cream Roll
- Zested Sugar:
- 1 large lemon, peeled with vegetable peeler; reserve zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream, well chilled in a bowl in refrigerator about 20-30 minutes before starting.
- 2 tbs powdered sugar for garnish
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Zest of 2 large lemons or 1 large lemon and 1 large orange, remove with vegetable peeler.
- Blend well together until well combined.
- To store: place in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate.
- Zested sugar can be used in iced tea or sprinkle over fresh fruit and yogurt.
Preheat oven to 325F.
Line 10x15 or 11x17 inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper, extending it lengthwise about 2 inches beyond edges of pan; butter paper.
Remove white pith from lemon; cut into quarters.
Juice lemon to make 1/3 cup. Use water if necessary to fill. Set aside.
Place half the zest and 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl.
Add egg yolks and blend for 30 seconds.
Pour in lemon juice slowly.
Sift flour and baking powder together.
Add to bowl.
Blend until flour disappears.
In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
Add salt and cream of tartar.
Beat until soft peaks form.
Gradually add 1 tbs sugar beating until stiff but not dry.
Fold in 1/4 of yolk mix into egg whites.
Fold in the rest of remaining mix, 1 quarter at a time.
Spread evenly in pan.
Bake 15-20 minutes, until slightly golden, being careful not to overcook.
Remove from oven and sift 1 tbs powdered sugar over top.
Cover with wax paper and dampened towel; carefully turn pan onto cake rack, holding edges of wax paper for assistance.
Allow to cool 20 minutes.
Peel off top piece parchment paper.
Turn onto towel and removing remaining paper.
Fill cake immediately or roll in damp towel.
Prepare zested sugar.
Place 3 tbs of zested sugar and whipping cream in a chilled bowl.
Blend cream and sugar to stiff peaks.
Spread cream over cake, reserving a small portion to garnish.
Roll from short end, using towel for assistance.
Carefully place on serving platter.
Refrigerate until just ready to serve.
Sprinkle top with sifted powdered sugar and garnish with remaing whipping cream.
For Variation, fold in sliced strawberries into whipped cream