Tomato, Corn, and Basil Soup
Time consuming. Made half of the recipe and still made a TON. Although it takes forever, it's really easy and super super DELICIOUS. Red onion works fine, and tomato juice isn't that gross. 6oz of tomato paste was fine. and 1/2 cup cream was fine too.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 large red, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vermouth or white wine, optional
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bunch chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespon balsamic vinegar
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Kernels from three ears of corn
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from cookingbride.com
1.Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, if desired
2.Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and sauté for ten minutes or until vegetables become tender.
3.Add tomatoes and sauté for five minutes.
4.Add the chicken or vegetable stock, tomato juice, and tomato paste and white wine or vermouth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
5.Stir in sugar, basil leaves, vinegar, and cayenne pepper. Puree the sound using an immersion blender or allow the soup to cool slightly and then process in small batches in a blender until smooth.
6.Return the soup to the pot. Add the corn kernels and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.*
7.Remove pot from heat and stir in heavy cream. Garnish individual bowls with Parmesan cheese.
You'll also love
- Tortellini and Vegetable Soup 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Chocolate-Raspberry Milk Punch 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Creamy Mushroom Pork Chops 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Carrot-Apple Juice 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Olive Caper Chicken 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Three-Way Corn Chowder 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Griddled Braised Beef Sandwich... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Spicy Cornbread Muffins 4.6/5 (12 Votes)