Seared Scallops with Jalapeno Vinaigrette
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and membranes removed
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 large fresh sea scallops
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut in between sections as segments
Adapted from allrecipes.com
* Place jalapeno, rice vinegar, olive oil, and Dijon mustard in a blender. Puree on high until mixture is completely liquefied, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
* Season scallops with sea salt and cayenne pepper.(Note: Pat scallops dry with paper towel before seasoning; otherwise they "weep" and stick to skillet)
* Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat. Place scallops in 12 inch skillet (Note: If you don't have a large 12 inch skillet, then cook in two batches; otherwise they'll crowd in pan and steam instead of brown) and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
* Transfer to a plate. Garnish scallops with orange segments and drizzle jalapeno vinaigrette over the top.
** Note: vinaigrette is excellent on chicken and fish too.