Crispy Skate with Puntarelle & Baby Turnips
- 2 cups flour (preferably Wondra)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds bone-in skate or 1 1/2pounds boneless, cut into 4 fillets
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets
- 2 1/2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup baby turnips, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup baby turnip greens, roughly chopped, optional
- 2 cups roughly chopped puntarelle
- Lemon wedges for seasoning and serving
Adapted from online.wsj.com
In a large bowl, mix flour with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Dredge skate fillets through seasoned flour until well coated on both sides.
Heat canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, shake excess flour from skate and lay 2 fillets into pan. Fry skate until exterior is golden and crisp, and the thickest portion of the fillet flakes easily when pressed upon, about 5 minutes per side for bone-in skate, 3 minutes per side for boneless. Transfer fillets to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat process with remaining fillets.
Meanwhile, make anchovy-garlic sauce: In a medium pan over medium heat, cook butter and anchovies until butter foams and anchovies begin to melt, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook until aromatic but not yet browned, about 1 minute.
Stir in turnips and sauté until softened, about 1 minute more. Add turnip greens, if using, and puntarelle, and sauté until greens just wilt, 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with a squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve fried skate with sautéed vegetables and lemon wedges alongside.