Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
Fat: 10 g
Carb: 30 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 8 g
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease 2 qt casserole with 1 Tbsp butter.
2. Wrap potatoes in foil. Bake 45 to 55 mins, until soft to touch. Remove from oven. Discxard foil; cool. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard peels. In large bowl, mash potatoes.
3. Reduce oven to 350 F. In large saucepan, bring milk, basil, sugar, salt, and ground pepper to a low boil over medium heat. In slow steady stream, whisk cornmeal into milk mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, 4 to 5 mins, until mixture is thick and pulls away from bottom of pan. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add potatoes, egg yolks, remaining 3 Tbsp butter, and baking powder to milk mixture; stir to thoroughly mix.
4. In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into the potato mixture.
5. Spoon batter into prepared dish. Bake 35 to 40 mins, until internal temperature reaches 165 F. Edges will be firm, and the center a little soft. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 mins. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (96 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole Ruth Chris'... 4.4/5 (94 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes 4.5/5 (91 Votes)