Savory Mushroom Turnovers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons, minced shallots
- 1 pound, chopped mixed mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon, chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon, chopped fresh rosemary
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons gruyere cheese
- store bought or homemade, enough for two pies pie dough
- lightly beaten with tablespoon of water egg
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from insolenceandwine.com
Preheat oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the minced shallot and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms are tender about 8 minutes.
Add the cream and simmer for about 30 seconds (not allowing the mixture to boil), and remove from heat.
Mix in the grated cheese and allow the mixture to come to room temperature. On a lightly floured surface or pastry mat, roll out a single disc of dough to a thickness of about 1/8". Using a biscuit cutter, cut the dough into circular sheets, re-rolling the dough as needed.
Place a sheet of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet and, using a measuring spoon, fill with 2 teaspoons of filling. Place another sheet of dough on top, gently pressing the sheets together. Repeat with remaining dough and filling until you've used up all of your dough and filling.
Brush the tops and edges of the filled sheets with the egg wash mixture. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Serve while still warm.