Apple Crostata with Caramel Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firm butter or margarine, cut into
- 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 T cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Filling and Topping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 T flour
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples (4 medium)
- 1 T sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup caramel topping
Preparation time 20mins
1. In medium bowl, mix 1 1/4 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and the salt. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. In small bowl, mix water and vanilla; sprinkle over flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl (up to 1 tablespoon more water can be added if necessary).
2. Gather dough into a ball; shape into flattened 5-inch round on lightly floured surface. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 30 minutes or until firm.
3. Heat oven to 400°F. With floured rolling pin, roll pastry into 12-inch round. Place on ungreased large cookie sheet.
4. In large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir in apples until coated. Mound apple mixture on center of dough round to within 2 inches of edge. Fold edge of dough over apple mixture; crimp edge of dough slightly. In small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and dough.
5. Bake 27 to 32 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cut into wedges. Serve warm drizzled with caramel topping.