Baby Cos and Beetroot Salad with a Soft Boiled Egg
A light tasty start to any meal a modern variation on Egg Mayonnaise served with nice crusty bread.
- 4 medium, free range eggs
- 1/2 cup, mayonnaise,
- 2 teaspoons, Dijon mustard,
- 2 whole, baby cos (romaine) lettuce, the leaves washed and sorted, iced/little gem lettuce is OK to use, we have found a nice red cos lettuce at Tesco’s’ which is tasty.
- 4 whole, baby beetroot (beets) cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 tablespoons, snipped chives,
- Crusty bread to serve
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water over a high heat, bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3½ minutes.
Remove the eggs and cool slightly, peel carefully, then set to one side.
Place the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard in a bowl, then add 1/3 cup (80ml) of boiling water. Whisk to make a loose dressing, adding a little more water, if needed.
Divide the cos lettuce between 4 serving bowls and top with the cooked beetroot, carefully halve the soft-boiled eggs and position them on top of the beetroot, drizzle with the mustard dressing, season with some freshly ground black pepper and garnish with the chopped chives, serve with crusty bread and Enjoy