Skillet Eggplant and Lentils
Nutrition (per serving, without Almond Parm): 158 calories, 11 calories from fat, 1.3g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 87.8mg sodium, 859.2mg potassium, 31g carbohydrates, 12.5g fiber, 6.2g sugar, 9.6g protein, 4.9 points.
f you have them, use 3-4 small Japanese eggplants instead of one large one. Just slice into 1/4-inch pieces, no need to slice lengthwise.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large eggplant (about 18 ounces) cut into quarters lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils)
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika or cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- 1 cup fresh basil, minced
- “Almond Parmesan,” see below
Saute the onion in a large, non-stick skillet until it begins to brown. Tip: Add a small pinch of baking soda to speed up browning. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the eggplant, water, and herbs and stir well to coat the eggplant with the seasonings. Cover tightly and cook until the eggplant begins to soften, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the fresh basil and Almond Parmesan. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until eggplant is tender and sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt, add fresh basil, and serve over pasta or brown rice or other whole grain. Top with Almond Parmesan, if desired.
To make Almond Parmesan, process 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and 1/3 cup whole raw almonds in a blender or food processor until crumbly. Store in refrigerator.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
You'll also love
- Ginger Shrimp and Rice 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Breaded Pork Chops 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Avocado Pablano Quesadillas 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Ricotta Stuffed Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Andy Battle's Chinese Eggplant 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sauteed Cannellini Beans 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Orzo Salad with Garbanzos 5/5 (1 Votes)