2. Deep dark chocolate biscotti
Each piece of biscotti weighs in at 94 calories and 3.5 grams of fat, so you could indulge in three of these sweet Italian cookies and stay under 300 calories for your dessert. The recipe yields 30 cookies.
- 9.5 ounces whole wheat flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup unsalted almonds
- Directions : Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, flaxseed, soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Combine sugars, egg whites, and egg in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for two minutes. Add vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; stir until combined. Fold in chocolate and almonds. Divide dough into three equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6-inch-long roll. Arrange rolls three inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat to a 1-inch thickness. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 28 minutes or until firm.
Remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut rolls diagonally into 30 (1/2-inch) slices. Place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit; bake seven minutes. Turn cookies over; bake seven minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet to cool on wire rack.