Meatball Parm Sub Sliders
- For Peperonata:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- For Meatballs:
- 8 - 10 thick slices day-old bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 ounces prosciutto di Parma, diced
- 8 ounces raw sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Several gratings of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 hero rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
Adapted from parade.com
Warm oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook over high heat 4 minutes. Stir in minced garlic, cook 30 seconds. Simmer 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat and season to taste.
Soak bread in water to cover, 5 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
Combine soaked bread, beef, prosciutto, sausage, eggs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, nutmeg, ¼ cup of the Pecorino, ¼ cup of the parsley, and ¼ cup of the olive oil in a large bowl and mix very gently with your hands. Season with salt and pepper. Form mixture into 2-inch balls. Place balls on a baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
Warm remaining ¼ cup olive oil in a 10- to 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Brown meatballs on all sides. Transfer to a plate and drain oil from pan.
Add tomato sauce and wine to the pan and bring to a boil. Place meatballs in sauce and return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Slice open hero rolls and fill each with 3 meatballs and sauce. Top with each with provolone cheese and some peperonata. Transfer sandwiches to a platter and serve with remaining ¼ cup Pecorino and ½ cup parsley sprinkled over the top.