Rachel Ray's Deep-Dish Eggplant Parmigiana
- Pomodoro Sauce:
- 3 firm, medium eggplant
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella, diced into small pieces
- 1 12 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 quarts Pomodoro Sauce
- A handful of basil leaves
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 28- to 32-ounce cans Italian tomatoes
- A few leaves of basil, torn
Preparation time 25mins
Adapted from rachaelrayshow.com
Trim some of the skin off the sides of the eggplants then cut them into thin planks lengthwise about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Salt the eggplant and layer with kitchen towels. Weight and drain the eggplant for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat a shallow layer of oil in a 12- to 14-inch skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant 2-3 minutes one each side until light golden. Drain on paper towels.
Place a layer of sauce in a casserole dish. Top with 1/3 of the eggplant, a few spoonful's of sauce, 1/3 of the mozzarella and the parmesan, and a few leaves of torn basil. Repeat 2 more times.
Bake eggplant 35-40 minutes until top is brown and bubbly. Top with minced parsley and serve.
For the sauce, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add butter and melt, then and add onions and garlic. Season with salt and cook partially covered until very soft. Add stock then tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Stir in basil, reduce heat and simmer sauce gently 20-30 minutes, partially covered, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt to taste.
Tip: For a thinner sauce or to stretch the yield, add 2 cups tomato passata or purée.
You'll also love
- Steamed Crab Legs with Four Sauces 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Pretzels 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Comforting Cranberry-Apple Crisp... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Banana Walnut Bread 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Grilled Cola-glazed Pork Chops... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Rhubarb Filled Cookies 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Kevin's Famous Moussaka 4.5/5 (15 Votes)