Pasta - black tie
- 1 tablespoon basil-infused olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 pound pancetta chunk, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jar artichokes hearts in marinade, drained, coarsely chopped, marinade liquid reserved
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 pound black fettuccine pasta
Pour the oil in a medium skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pancetta and cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta and set aside. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the artichokes and saute, stirring, about 3 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over moderately-high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, following the package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Add the pasta, 2 tablespoons of the artichoke marinade and half the pancetta to the pan (if the pasta seems dry, add a little bit of the cooking liquid). Season with salt and pepper and toss until combined and heated through. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with the remaining pancetta and a drizzle of olive oil.
BYOC: This dish would also be fantastic with some sauteed calamari on top and would look beautiful. The contrast of the black and white would knock your guest's socks off.