Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb (450 g) ground chicken breast
- 2-4 tablespoons hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Canola oil, for the pan
- 4 buns, split and toasted
- 1 batch Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw
- Spicy Blue Cheese Celery Slaw
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup (52 g) mayo
- 1/4 cup (62 g) Greek yogurt
- 1-3 teaspoons hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 4 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 3 oz (85 g) blue cheese, crumbled
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add the onion and cook until softened, but not brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
Add the onion/garlic mixture (with the butter that’s in the pan), ground chicken, hot sauce, salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Combine the mixture with your hands being careful not to over-mix, and divide it into 4 portions. Shape each into a ball and flatten into a patty.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add enough canola oil to generously coat the bottom. Once the skillet is hot, add the burgers and cook until they’re cooked throughout, about 6 to 8 minutes per side, flipping once. (I like to cover the skillet with a lid to help contain the spattering oil, but leave the lid ajar so steam can escape, otherwise chicken has a tendency to be rubbery.)
Place the burgers on the buns and serve with the slaw on top.
Stir together the mayo, Greek yogurt, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl.
Add the celery, carrot, and 3/4 of the scallion (reserving 1/4 for garnish) and stir until the veggies are coated.
Gently fold in the blue cheese crumbles; taste and add additional salt, black pepper, and hot sauce as desired.
Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle on the remaining scallion; serve.