Chicken & Dumplings
- 3-3 1/2 lb stewing chicken, cut up
- 4 celery stalk tops
- 1 medium carrot, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs parlsey, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 5 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 22mins
1) Remove any excess fat from chicken. Place chicken, celery, carrot, onion, parsley, salt, pepper & water in Dutch oven.
2) Cover & heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook over low heat for 2 hours or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
3) Remove chicken & vegetables from Dutch oven.
4) Skim 1/2 cup fat from broth; reserve.
5) Remove broth; reserve 4 cups.
6) Heat reserved fat in Dutch oven over low heat.
7) Stir in 1/2 cup of the baking mix. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
8) Stir in reserved broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil & stir 1 minute.
9) Return chicken & vegetables to Dutch oven; heat until hot.
10) In small bowl, mix remaining 2 cups baking mix and milk until soft dough forms.
11) Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot chicken mixture.
12) Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes.
13) Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.