- 1 lb. of spaghetti, cooked and drained.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
Boil the chicken in seasoned water (salt, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, cayenne) for about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from water to cool and save broth. Shred chicken using 2 forks pulling in opposite directions. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, add the onions and bell peppers. Let the veggies saute for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the garlic, scallions and parsley and saute for another 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes and one cup of chicken broth. Stir to combine and reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer for 30 minutes.
While sauce is simmering, cook spaghetti and grease a 9x13 casserole dish with one tablespoon of butter.
Place the cooked and drained spaghetti in the casserole dish, sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the spaghetti. Pour the chicken and sauce over the spaghetti and top with Parmigiana-Reggiano and bake for 30 minutes. Then place dish under the broiler for 2 minutes so the top will get crunchy.