Moroccan Spicy Carrots
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon hot water
- 4 large carrots
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. In a small bowl stir together raisins, saffron, and water and let mixture stand 30 minutes to soften raisins.
2. While raisin mixture is standing, cut carrots into 3-inch lengths and, using side of a grater with teardrop-shaped holes, grate sides of carrots, discarding woody center cores.
3. In a small heavy skillet stir together coriander seeds, cumin, and oil and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. In a bowl toss together carrots, raisin mixture, spices, cilantro, pepper, and salt to taste.