Sweet Potato-Acorn Squash Gratin
Note: If preparing in advance, strain potato-squash mixture from cream, cooling cream and potato-squash mixture separately. Reserve chilled until ready to assemble.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup onion, medium dice
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 sweet potatoes cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 cup acorn squash, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Heat large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion and garlic, cooking until golden brown. Add cream, potatoes, squash, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low simmer. Cook until potatoes and squash are tender when poked with a skewer or knife, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Butter a 13-by-8-inch casserole with 2 tablespoons butter. Add cooked potato-squash mixture, then drizzle with reserved cream. Finish by topping with Asiago and breadcrumbs, cover with aluminum foil.
Heat oven to 385 F. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until heated thoroughly. Remove foil and finish baking for 10 minutes, until top is golden brown. Remove from oven, garnish with fresh herb sprigs, and serve.
You'll also love
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash 4.6/5 (43 Votes)
- Baked Blue Fish 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cabbage Goulash 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Black Eyed Pea and Sweet Potato... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato, Raisin & Walnut... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Three Corn Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scalloped Corn in Microwave 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Nicole's Pumpkin Pudding Crunch 5/5 (1 Votes)