French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon each grapeseed (or olive) oil and butter, for frying
- 2 slices of french baguette or french bread
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- enough shredded gruyere cheese to generously cover both slices of bread
- 1/2 about 1/2 cup wine-braised onions (see recipe below)
- fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wine-braised Onions
- 1 about 1 small clove garlic per 2 onions
- onions (cook about 3-5 at a time, as you will find many uses for leftover caramelized onions)
- olive oil
- bay leaf
- fresh thyme
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- red or white wine
- beef stock (optional)
Heat grapeseed oil in frying pan over medium low heat. Add butter and allow to melt.
Spread each slice of French bread with softened butter. Add half the shredded cheese to one, pile braised onions on top, sprinkled with fresh thyme leaves, salt and pepper, then add the rest of the cheese. “Close” the sandwich with the other slice of bread, and gently press together.
Place the sandwich in the hot pan and cook until bread is toasted brown and cheese has started to melt. Carefully flip the sandwich over in the pan and cook until the other side is toasted brown and cheese has completely melted.
Remove the grilled sandwich from the pan and serve.
Wine Braised Onions
Cut the onions in half lengthwise, then slice thinly again lengthwise.
For every 1 large onion, heat about 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large, heavy-bottom pan over medium heat. Add the same amount of butter, allow to melt, then add minced garlic. Allow the garlic to soften (but not color), then add the onions. Stir to coat the garlic and onions in oil+butter, add a bay leaf and a small sprig of thyme, then turn down the heat to medium low (so onions don’t burn). Continue to cook the onions until they are soft and deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes (depending on how many onions you cook).
Add about ¼ cup red or white wine (doesn’t matter), and allow to cook down with the onions, another 5-7 minutes. You can also add beef stock, but I didn’t.
Remove from heat and set aside enough onions for grilled cheese sandwich. The rest, throw into a pot and make French Onion Soup.