Spicy Melon Surf and Turf
Sirloin and shrimp with braised onion and cantaloupe are complimented by a hint of cilantro and mint and drizzled with a sweet, spicy honey lime dressing...my wife's favorite!
- 3/4 lb tritip or sirloin
- 12 Shrimp peeled and veined
- Salt and Pepper to season the meat before grilling
- 2 Red onions cut into 1/2" rings
- 2 small fresh limes juiced
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs EVOO
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (or paprika and a tsp of liquid smoke added to the dressing)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (I like a little more)
- 1/2 Cantaloupe peeled, seeded and cut into large wedges (1/4 to 1/2")
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh mint
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Meat and Onion
1- Heat an oiled grill (or cast iron skillet or grilling pan or use the broiler) over medium heat
2- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper
3- Put onion slices and steak on the grill
4- Cook meat until desired doneness is achieved but remove onions when they have started to brown but can still hold their shape
5- Transfer meat and onion to cutting board and let rest before slicing
Combine honey, lime, olive oil, paprika, and red pepper stir and TASTE! Adjust to suit your taste for balance of sweetness, lime tang and paprika smokiness!
Make a bed of onion and cantaloupe place steak slices on it then garnish lightly with the cilantro and mint. Drizzle with dressing and serve!