Pita Pockets, Cabbage Stuffed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 whole wheat pita breads, halved
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook and stir the ground beef until the meat is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease. Transfer ground beef to a bowl; set aside. Cook and stir the cabbage, onion, carrots, and mushroom in the skillet over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the beef, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Fill each pita half with the hot cabbage mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese.