Spinach and Basil Pesto
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
. Blend the spinach, basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor until nearly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary. Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the mixture while processing until smooth.
"This sauce is perfect for freezing in an ice cube tray. I just pop out a couple of cubes from the freezer and add to a pasta dish for a quick and easy meal. The Parmesan cheese can be omitted and added after thawing. Pour any pesto you aren't using immediately into an ice cube tray, cover with plastic wrap, and store in freezer."