Orange Pecan Scones
Orange Pecan Scones
September 8, 2011 at 5:00 am, by Kristina Vanni
These scones are so simple, I almost couldn’t believe the recipe! With only a few ingredients you need to be strategic and savvy. Self-rising flour is used because it already contains salt and baking powder. Then, one orange is used in two ways, the flavorful zest and the sweet juice. I liked that the result wasn’t super sweet and actually tasted like a scone and not a slice of cake!
They are perfect when served warm with unsalted butter, lemon curd or orange marmalade. Of course, you can’t forget a cup of tea!
Tip – If you don’t have a round cutter to form the scones, simply use an inverted drinking glass. Works just as well!
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 orange, grated rind and juiced
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the flour in a food processor with a pinch of salt and add the butter. Process the mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the orange rind. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and set side. Measure 1/2 cup of the remaining orange juice. If there is not enough juice, add water to make 1/2 cup. Add the nuts and the juice to the food processor, pulse to make a firm dough, adding a little water if the dough feels dry. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and roll out to 3/4 inch thick. Cut out the scones using a round cutter and transfer them to the baking sheet. Re-roll the trimmings and cut more scones. Brush the scones with the reserved juice and bake for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 10-12 scones.
You'll also love
- Sausage Cream Cheese Dip 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Marinated Garden Tortellini Salad 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Panko Stuffed Broiled Tomatoes 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Beet, Bacon and Herbed Goat Cheese... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Banana Cupcakes & Peanut Butter... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Grilled Banana Splits 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Cookies: Lemon-Lime Basil... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Freeze-Ahead Lemon Parfaits 4.5/5 (4 Votes)