Luscious Pineapple Caramel Cake
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fat-free prepared caramel topping
- 6 canned pineapple slices (save the juice)
- 1/4 cup dried crabberries (dried tart cherries also work beautifully)
- 2 egg whites, at room termperature
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with no-strick spray. Spread the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan and drizzle evenly with the caramel topping. Top with the pineapple slices in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle with the cranberries and 2 tablespoons of the saved pineapple juice. Set aside.
2. Place the egg whites and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Beat in the vanilla. Gradually beat in the sugar until the whites are stiff but not dry.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Sift half of the flour over the egg whites. Gently fold in with a large rubber spatula.
4. Fold in 1/4 cup of the saved pineapple mixture. Sift the remaining flour over the egg whites and fold in.
5. Spread the batter evenly over the pineapple mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for two minutes, invert onto a serving plate. Cool for at least one hour before serving.