Roasted Garlic and Peppers Pizza
- 1 large head garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut in 1/2−inch−thick rings
- 1/3 cup oil−packed sun−dried tomatoes, drained, oil reserved
- 1 − 12 inch pizza dough shell (uncooked)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers from jar, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 deg. F.
2. Slice top off garlic head; place in small baking dish.
Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
3. Brush baking sheet with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
Place onion slices on sheet and brush onion with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Bake garlic and onion until garlic cloves are light brown and soft and onion is tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove from oven; let cool.
5. Using fingers, squeeze out roasted garlic cloves into food processor; add sun−dried tomatoes.
Using on/off turns, process until almost smooth, adding enough reserved oil form sun−dried tomatoes to form paste. (Onions and garlic mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
6. Prepare pizza dough of choice and have it ready to be topped.
7. Spread garlic paste evenly over crust.
Top with mozzarella cheese, onion, pepper strips and feta cheese.
Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons basil and 1 tablespoon parsley.
8. Bake pizza until crust is golden brown and cheese bubbles.
9. Transfer to cutting board. Cool for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and 1 tablespoon parsley.
10. Cut into wedges and serve.