Creamy Garlic Bread Soup
Delicious comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 medium-size cloves)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cubed, day-old hearty homestyle crusty bread
- 1 (14.5 oz)can diced tomatoies, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Romano cheese for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the flour and stir to form a paste. Cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the stock and milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes.
3. place the bread in a blender. Slowly add only enough soup to the blander container to fit comfortably without the threat of spilling over during processing. Cover and puree carefully for about 2 minutes, or until smooth. Pour into saucepan and set aside while you puree remaining soup.
4. Once all soup is pureed, add the tomatoes, chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir ove medium heat until well blanded and heated. Garnished with a tablespoon of cheese.