New Tuna Casserole
- 1 (16-oz.) package ziti pasta
- 1 (8-oz.) package haricots verts (thin green beans), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 (4-oz.) packages fresh gourmet mushroom blend
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) can solid white tuna in spring water, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
- 1/4 cup crushed potato chips
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Garnish: sliced fresh chives
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 30 seconds to 1 minute or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
3. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, and sauté 2 minutes; add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer leek mixture to a small bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
4. Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium heat; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in cream and broth. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low; gradually whisk in Cheddar cheese and 4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper.
5. Stir cream mixture into pasta. Stir in tuna, next 2 ingredients, beans, and leek mixture; transfer to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
6. Stir together potato chips, next 2 ingredients, and remaining 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese in a small bowl; sprinkle over pasta mixture.
7. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.