Gouda Canapés with Strawberry Salsa
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon (7 ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 baguette bread, thinly sliced
- 1/2 About 1/2 lb (250 g) Canadian gouda cheese, sliced or shredded
- small fresh basil leaves
Adapted from foodnetwork.ca
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Combine all salsa ingredients and let stand at room temperature.
Meanwhile, top baguette slices with Gouda and place on a cookie sheet. Bake until bread is crispy and cheese melted.
Remove from oven, top each canapé with a bit of strawberry salsa and garnish with a small leaf of fresh basil.
Serve warm or cold.