Jjambbong (Korean-Chinese Spicy Noodle Soup)
- 2 servings
- 12 - 14 ounces fresh jajangmyeon/udon noodles
- 3 ounces fatty pork, thinly sliced
- 1 thumb-size ginger piece, julienned
- 2 scallions, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili pepper flakes (gochugaru) (adjust for your liking)
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 carrot (about 2 ounces), thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 zucchini (about 3 ounces), thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 4 ounces cabbage (about 4 ounces), cut into 2-inch lengths (or napa cabbage)
- 2 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced thin (optional)
- 4 - 6 littleneck clams
- 4 - 6 mussels
- 4 - 6 shrimp
- 3 ounces squid, cut into bite sizes (Do not cut squids too small as they shrink a lot when cooked.)
- 4 cups of chicken stock or anchovy broth (or water)
Adapted from 4.bp.blogspot.com
Have a pot of water ready to cook the noodles. (Turn the heat on when you start cooking the soup ingredients. This way you can time it so that the noodles can be finished cooking at the same time the soup is ready.) While making the soup, cook the noodles according to the package instructions and drain.
Prepare all of the ingredients before you begin cooking, including the seafood
Heat a wok or a large pot over high heat. Add the oil, ginger, scallion, gochugaru and soy sauce and stir fry for a minute.
Add the pork and stir fry until the pork is almost cooked, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the onion, carrot, cabbage, zucchini and optional mushrooms, lightly salt, and cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the chicken stock (or anchovy broth/water) and boil until the vegetables are completely cooked.
Add the seafood starting with the clams, which require more time to cook, followed by the mussels, shrimps and squid. Bring everything to a boil again and cook until the shells have opened. Salt and pepper to taste. Place a serving of the noodles in a large soup bowl and ladle the soup on top. Serve immediately while piping hot.