Spiced-up Apple Cake
- Brown Sugar Glaze:
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups peeled and finely diced tart apples
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, or more, if desired
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Use to top Spiced-up Apple Cake.
Peheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
Using a fork, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
In another bowl, combine the apples, raisins and walnuts. Add 3 tbsp of the flour mixture. Toss to coat the fruit and nuts. Set aside.
Combine the butter, brown sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl; cream until the mixture is light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stire int he buttermilk and the applesauce.
Slowly add remaining flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until just blended. Stir in the reserved fruit and nut mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let the cake cool, still in the pan, for one hour.
Unmold the cake and place it on a serving platter. Using a pastry brush, paint on the glaze to coat the cake.