Gan Shao Xia (Sweet and Sour Shrimp)
Gan Shao Xia or Sweet and Sour Shrimp is the perfect main dish to spice up your typical dinner rotation. Serve this dish with white or fried rice, and steamed veggies or even a lightly dressed side salad. This meal pairs well with your favorite dry white wine or crispy champagne, so serve this dish any time you want to show off your cooking skills with a romantic night in.
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (available at Indian Foods Company)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (available at Indian Foods Company)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound large (31 to 35 count) head-on shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooked white rice, to serve
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from saveur.com
Whisk together ketchup, wine, soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and 1 tablespoon water in a bowl; set sauce aside.
Heat oil in a 14-inch flat-bottom wok or skillet over high heat. Add ginger and scallions; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shrimp; cook, stirring, until beginning to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add sauce; cook, stirring, until thick, about 1 minute.
Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice.
You'll also love
- Peppered Beef Jerky Recipe 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Roasted Tomato and Zucchini Salad 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- The Pioneer Woman's Black-Eyed Pea... 4.1/5 (28 Votes)
- Potato Salmon Patties 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Seafood Lasagna 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Chocolate Gingerbread Men 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Raspberry Ribbon Cheesecake 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Shrimp, Scallop & Crab Ceviche... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)