LA (Lower Alabama) Caviar
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (or splenda)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (15-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can rotel tomates with green chilies or habaneros
- 1 cup each chopped green, red, and yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Saltine crackers or tortilla chips, optional
1. Make dressing by combining vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover and shake jar vigorously to dissolve sugar.
2. Place black-eyed peas in a large glass bowl. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, and parsley.
3. Pour dressing over pea mixture toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
4. Serve as a side dish or with crackers or tortilla chips as an appetizer.
Per serving(based on 25): 115 calories; 4.5g fat; 0.5g saturated fat; no cholesterol; 3g protein; 15g carbohydrate; 4g sugar; 3g fiber; 330mg sodium; 20mg calcium.