Pasta with Sausage, Basil and Mustard
- 1 lb. penne pasta or medium shells
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Italian sausages, meat removed from casings and crumbled
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. grainy mustard, or more to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water until it is al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sausage meat and brown over moderately high heat about 5 minutes, until no pink remains. Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
Add the cream, mustard and crushed red pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat.
Pour the pasta into a serving bowl, add the sauce and the basil, and toss to coat. Serve at once.