Hong Kong Orange Chicken
Baste the chicken frequently for lacquered skin. Boiling down the sauce enriches and thickens it.
- Grated zest from 4 oranges
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp. crushed redpepper flakes
- 2 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 2 chickens (2-1/2 to 3 pounds each) cut into 8 pieces and trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
For the marinade: A day before serving, combine the first 8 ingredients. Toss them together with the chicken in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat over to 375.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it skin-side up in a shallow rasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Pour 2/3 cup of the marinade into the pan. Bake for 1 hour.
Remove the chicken to a serving platter.
Strain the marinade into a small saucepan; boil for 10 minutes tto thicken. Drizzle this sauce over the chicken.
Garnish with scallions and serve.