Orange Onion Salad With Warmed Coriander Oil
- 1 small or 3/4 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 generous tablespoons freshly ground coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 10-12 navel oranges(4-5 lbs), peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup black olives
- Coarse salt
- Ground black pepper
- 4-6 teaspoons granulated sugar(or splenda)
1. Fill a medium bowl halfway with ice cubes, then add onion. Top with more ice cubes. Add cold water to cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight. Drain onions and pat dry with a towel.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oil, coriander and orange zest. Microwave on high for 1 minute. (Alternatively, ingredients may be warmed over meduim heat for 2 minutes in a small saucepan).
3. To serve, arrange the orange slices and onion slices on a platter. Scatter with olives and sprinkle with oil. Add salt, a generous amount of pepper and sugar to taste.
Per serving: 300 calories; 16g fat; 2g saturated fat; no cholesterol; 3g protein; 41g carbohydrate; 8g fiber; 310mg sodium.