Americanized Jamaican Beef Patties
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 8 ounce package crescent dough sheets
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add curry powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in ground beef, thyme, allspice, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, breaking meat apart with a wooden spoon. Stir in broth and bread crumbs; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Unroll crescent dough. Cut each piece crosswise into 3 (8 x 4-inch) pieces, for a total of 6. Roll each piece out slightly. Place 1/2 cup of filling on one half of one piece. Fold dough over to enclose filling. Press edges to seal, using a fork. Transfer to a large baking sheet and brush with a little of the egg. Repeat with all the pieces of dough.
3. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.