Steak and Mushrooms with Cauliflower Puree
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup red or white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from realsimple.com
Fill a large pot with 1-inch water and fit with a steamer basket. Bring to a simmer. Place the cauliflower in the steamer basket, cover, and steam until very tender, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add the butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and puree until smooth.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing; reserve the skillet.
Add the mushrooms to the drippings in the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes more; season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Serve the steak with the cauliflower puree. Top with the mushroom sauce and sprinkle with the parsley.
You'll also love
- Raspberry White Chocolate Scones 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Applesauce Spice Cake with Brown... 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Killer Potato Latkes 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Quick Mushroom Chicken Bake 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Broccoli... 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushrooms 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup 4.4/5 (9 Votes)