Bacon Tomato Melts
This amped-up version of a traditional BLT offers plenty of vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. Enjoy loads of cheese on this open-face melt while keeping it diabetes-friendly.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 1/2-inch slices bakery-style or sandwich-style whole wheat bread
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 8 slices turkey bacon, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese blend (2 ounces)
Preheat broiler. Slice tomatoes. Seed and chop one or two of the slices to make 1/4 cup chopped tomato. Set remaining tomato slices aside. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup chopped tomato, the sour cream, green onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Set aside.
2.Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted, turning once. If desired, set aside some of the spinach leaves for garnish. Top bread slices with the remaining spinach leaves, tomato slices, sour cream mixture, and bacon. If desired, top with the reserved spinach leaves. Add cheese. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
PER SERVING: 206 cal., 10 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 42 mg chol., 623 mg sodium, 15 g carb. (3 g fiber, 3 g sugars), 12 g pro.
You'll also love
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches... 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Smoked Cherry Barbecue Sauce 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Soup- Lobster, Shrimp and Corn... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Pasta with Broccolini and Sausage 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Clark's "Crazy" Grilled Sirloin... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Cider Dijon Pork Chops with... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Bacon cheeseburger pizza 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Greek Tomato-Feta Quinoa Salad 4.4/5 (27 Votes)