These savory corn cakes make an excellent appetizer or side dish, especially when dressed up with sour cream and salsa or sliced green onion tops.
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
In a blender or food processor, pulse corn and green onions until chopped but not smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons oil and the egg yolks.
In another large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Add to corn mixture and mix thoroughly but gently.
In a large clean bowl, whisk or beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into corn mixture.
In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop large spoonfuls of the corn mixture into pan (do not spread or flatten). Cook until edges begin to set and undersides are browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until cakes are browned and cooked through. Cook remaining batter the same way, adding oil as necessary. Serve hot.
You'll also love
- Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Scalloped Corn 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Onion Dip from Scratch 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Pecan Pie 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Custard-Filled Corn Bread by... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Ham & Potatoes au Gratin Casserole 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Quick Chive Mashed Potatoes 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Green Beans & Radish Saute 4.8/5 (4 Votes)