These savory corn cakes make an excellent appetizer or side dish, especially when dressed up with sour cream and salsa or sliced green onion tops.
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
In a blender or food processor, pulse corn and green onions until chopped but not smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons oil and the egg yolks.
In another large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Add to corn mixture and mix thoroughly but gently.
In a large clean bowl, whisk or beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into corn mixture.
In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop large spoonfuls of the corn mixture into pan (do not spread or flatten). Cook until edges begin to set and undersides are browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until cakes are browned and cooked through. Cook remaining batter the same way, adding oil as necessary. Serve hot.
You'll also love
- Crab 'N Shrimp Dip 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Apple-Bacon Sweet Potatoes 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Easy-Glazed Pearl Onions 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Vanilla Bean Scones 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Ranch Dressing (Dairy-free, egg... 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Loaded Cornbread Skillet 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Stovetop Green Bean Casserole 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Apple, Bacon, & Leek Stuffing 4.8/5 (4 Votes)