Chilaquiles with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Tomatillo Salsa (Salsa Verde)
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos
- 3 fresh serrano chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or more as needed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into eights, preferably stale (spread out to dry overnight)
- 3 cups roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or a mild feta cheese
- 2 thin slices onion, separated into rings
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema, creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
To make the salsa:
Preheat the broiler or oven to 550 degrees F.
Remove husks from the tomatillos and rinse under warm water to remove the stickiness. Put the chiles, garlic, onion and tomatillos on a baking sheet. Season with a little olive oil, and salt and pepper, to taste. Put on a rack about 1 or 2 inches from the heat, and cook, turning the vegetables once, until softened and slightly charred, about 5 to 7 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the garlic and pull off the tops of the chiles. add all the broiled ingredients to a blender along with the fresh cilantro and puree. Pour in 1/4 cup of chicken broth and blend to combine. Add more broth, if needed, for desired consistency.
To make the chilaquiles:
Pour about 1/3 cup vegetable oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the tortillas, working in 2 or 3 batches, and cook until lightly browned and nearly crisp. Drain the tortillas on paper towels and discard the remaining oil. Wipe the pan with a paper towel.
In the same pan, add the tomatillo salsa and bring to simmer over low heat Add the tortillas and cook until soft but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Divide the mixture among 4 individual dishes. Top with the cheese crumbles and onion rings. Drizzle with Mexican crema, sprinkle with some chopped fresh cilantro and serve immediately.