Salmon & Spinach Strudel
- 8 sheets phyllo
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 8 oz. light cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup chopped dill or chives
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 - 6 oz Salmon filets
- 1 - 10 oz box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. On a clean work surface lay a sheet of phyllo, brush lightly with butter and top with another sheets, brush again and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat process until all phyllo and breadcrumbs are used.
2. In a small bowl combine cream cheese, spinach, egg yolk, dill or chives and lemon zest, mix well. Spread cream cheese mixture on the lower third of the phyllo leaving a one inch border on the base and sides. Top the cream cheese with salmon fillets, Roll the phyllo to enclose the salmon fillets and bring the sides to enclose. Continue to roll to create and strudel. Brush the strudel with butter. (Strudel can be frozen at this point)
3. Bake strudel in a pre-heated oven for 2- 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
NOTE: to heat frozen salmon - pre-heat oven 325. bake for 25 minutes, increase to 400 and continue to bake 25 minutes. To re-heat cooked strudel bake in preheated 375 oven for 18-20 mins.