Hot Spinach Dip with Mushrooms
Spinach dip just got amped up in the savory department with Gruyère cheese and mushrooms. This is the best dip you'll have all year.
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 2 poblano chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated, about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 ounces Muenster cheese, grated, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Toasted sourdough bread, for serving
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Put the spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and pierce a few times to vent. Microwave until it starts wilting, about 4 minutes. Uncover and stir, then microwave until completely wilted, about 2 more minutes. Transfer to a colander and rinse under cold water; squeeze dry and set aside.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, poblanos and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium; add the garlic and flour and stir until incorporated, about 2 minutes.
Gradually stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the sour cream and cook, stirring, until the liquid thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in all but a few tablespoons of the Gruyère, then stir in the Muenster and cilantro. Transfer to a food processor and add the spinach; pulse until finely chopped.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the dip in a 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the reserved Gruyère. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese melts, about 6 minutes. Serve with bread.
You'll also love
- Mini Corn Dogs (Unfried, to boot!) 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Cream of Broccoli Soup with Cheese 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Mario Batali's Green Chile Pork... 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Chicken & Rice Bake without Canned... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Mushroom Chicken Piccata Recipe 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Sausage & Spinach Lasagna Rolls 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Jacques Pepin's Beef Stew in Red... 4.2/5 (46 Votes)
- Bacon Pepper Jelly Pecan Baked... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)